Sunday, June 10, 2012

Homesick

Well, there's no good way of sugar-coating this so I'll just put it out there.  After three weeks, I'm homesick.

The first two weeks in Chester were beautiful.  Weather in the 80s, sunny all day, and a slight subtle breeze in the air to keep you cool .  My husband's co-workers all commented on the fact that they hadn't had weather like that in ages.  Oh, oh, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the trip, does it?


And then...traditional English weather reared its ugly head.   All week it has been in the 50s, cloudy, not a drop of sun in the sky, and rainy. 



Needless to say, this weather doesn't make for good walking about town weather and I've been spending a good deal of time indoors.

I have been able to start writing again so I guess that's a good thing.

Here is a random smattering of things I miss:






1.  Seinfeld.  2.  Conan O'Brien.  3.  Chicken wings. 
4.  Annie's gluten-free mac & cheese
(yes, it's very random...)


I, of course, miss my mom (who god bless her is keeping watch over the house and children), my wonderful writing groups (shout out to Coffee & Critique and Saturday Writers), my awesome neighbors who are also helping to take care of the house (shout out to Kathy and Eddie!) and my four-legged children.


There are a few things that I'm enjoying whilst here:







1.  The mascot for EDF Energy.  I'm not quite sure what he is but he's super cute and on a bunch of commercials.  2.  Come Dine With Me (Shout out to my friend Norma for introducting me to this show.).  3.  Pork Belly (They love pork belly here and I love them for that.).  4.  Stella Artois (I know you can get this in the States but for some reason it just tastes better here.). 


On a Crohnie note, for some reason my appetite has really gone downhill since I've been here.  One very important thing for us is to eat little bits of food throughout the day so as to not shock our digestive system.  Well, it's hard to eat when you're not hungry.  But that, in turn, also messes with our digestive system so it's a no-win situation.  Has anyone else encountered losses in appetite whilst traveling?  All in all though, my health is well and I haven't had any horrible stomach aches or bathroom issues.

So here's hoping to a sunnier week and continued good health!






2 comments:

  1. Delightful. Well, not that you are homesick - boo! The photos you posted, particularly the blue sky rain in the window and pork belly are delightful. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainy days definitely make me moody...and if they go on and on...I can get depressed. I'd forgotten it's like that in England. When I lived in Germany, the weather was very much like here in the Midwest, only less heat and humidity in the summer, but lots of sunshine. No complaints there. BUT...those months in Tacoma, Washington....Aaaaccckkkkkk!! :(
    I'm glad you're doing some writing and the weather just has to behave soon! Can you get a DVD Player and watch Seinfeld, etc.?
    We miss you, too, by the way!!!!

    ReplyDelete